Rapid growth of smart devices resulted in many complications that are associated with eye discomfort and other problems like blurred vision, eye strain, eye fatigue and visual fatigue. We all can agree that at some point we all can connect to this scenario. As these smart devices became a significant part of everyday activities, they are hard to be removed apart. Instead, we can try to reduce the usage of these devices and take little extra care to avoid any unwanted eye problems.
The main purpose of this blog is to bring awareness on how diets and supplementations naturally help to prevent ocular complications.
The eye is the major sensory organ. As we know, the human eye is regularly exposed to lights with different wavelengths and intensities. The eye is one of the organs which is more susceptible when it comes to light damage. The main cause of eye damage is identified as photo-oxidative stress that induces the retinal pigment epithelium to damage. Understanding this issue, Grand Health® has come up with a product called "Vision Bright '' that consists of ingredients with potential benefits to the eyes. The product is 100% vegan and contains a high concentration of polyphenols and premium maquiberry extracts. Let us discuss the detailed information of product ingredients based on scientific evidence (1, 3).
Xanthophyll Pigments: Carotenoids
The predominant Xanthophyll pigments like lutein and zeaxanthin are grouped under carotenoids. Carotenoids are nutritional compounds that are broadly distributed in fruits and veggies and are known to have antioxidant properties. Humans cannot synthesize xanthophyll pigments and must be obtained from dietary sources like fruits, vegetables, animal products or supplements. The lutein and zeaxanthin carotenoids are found to naturally accumulate in the centre of the macular region (retina) in the human eye. They play a significant role in maintaining healthy vision by protecting the eyes from harmful blue and ultraviolet lights. They function as an anti-oxidant (fights against harmful oxidized compounds affecting eye cells) by producing a protective pigment layer in the macular retina and ultimately help to maintain the integrity of the eye. Therefore, a high intake of carotenoids in the diet has a role in protecting the retina from photo-toxic light damage (1, 3, 5).
Benefits of Lutein for Eye Health
Many research evidence shows that lutein can help to prevent and treat eye conditions that occur as a part of ageing, such as age-related macular degeneration that leads to blindness and vision impairments in older adults. In addition, consumption of lutein increased macular pigments, increased visual acuity, decreased the formation of cataract, and improved overall eye health (2, 4, 5).
Marigold is a traditional medicinal herb, grown in Europe, North America, and Asia. Most of the beneficial compounds are from flowers or leaves. They are said to contain a lot of properties like antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-mutagenicity, anti-viral and immunomodulatory. Marigold is rich in lutein and used as a primary source of lutein extraction in the food supplement industry. Marigold extract is used primarily to improve eyesight and retinal support. Besides, it contains bioactive compounds such as lutein and zeaxanthin that helps to reduce oxidative stress caused by Ultra-Violet (UV) rays (1, 2).
The Goji berries have been practiced in China for maintaining eye health. Dried goji berries are used in Chinese soups and are popular in herbal teas. In Chinese traditional medicine, they are known to have "eye brightening" properties. They are rich in bioactive compounds such as lutein and zeaxanthin. A randomized clinical study reported that consuming a small portion of dried goji berries may protect from the early development of age-related macular degeneration. Consuming those berries also increased the macular pigments in the retina (6).
Bilberries are an important fruit in the diet and a medicinal herb in many countries, especially a great part of European nature and tradition. They are rich in bioactive compounds like anthocyanins, flavonols, tannins, and terpenoids. Research evidence shows that they help in reducing glaucoma, retinopathy, and cataract, and improve eye vision. Extracts are used in eye-health supplements and vision-aid problems because of their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties (7).
Anthocyanins are used widely as an eye supplementation in Europe and East Asia. Anthocyanins provide benefits by lessening symptoms of ocular problems. They are also known to increase rhodopsin generation (cells in eyes), ciliary muscle relaxation (eye muscle relaxation), and improve night vision. Naturally present in the eyes and improves blood circulation (8).
They originated from Chile. Maqui berries are called a superfood because they are packed with anti-oxidant compounds like anthocyanins that can overcome oxidative stress caused in retinal cells. Therefore, they protect photoreceptors in the eyes. They play an important role in eliminating dry eyes and discomfort. As the tears keep the eye comfortable and moisturize, berries encourage tears production without the use of eye drops. Therefore, help prevent dry, itchy, and tired eyes (9).
Hyaluronic acid is naturally produced in the body. Large amounts are present in the skin, eyes, and connective tissues. They help to keep tissues lubricated and moist. They can be seen in eye drops, topical serums, and injections. They relieve dry eyes and discomfort which is caused due to reduced tears production in the eye (10).
The detailed overview of Grand Health's® Vision Bright can help to get an overall idea of the ingredients used. The product can be highly beneficial when they are taken with a good diet. For more information, visit our website https://www.grand-health.com/.
- Peng, M. L., Chiu, H. F., Chou, H., Liao, H. J., Chen, S. T., Wong, Y. C., ... & Wang, C. K. (2016). Influence/impact of lutein complex (marigold flower and wolfberry) on visual function with early age-related macular degeneration subjects: a randomized clinical trial. Journal of Functional Foods, 24, 122-130.
- Lutein and Zeaxanthin from Marigold Extract are the key solution for optimal eye health. Nutri Avenue. Retrived from https://www.nutriavenue.com/lutein-and-zeaxanthin-from-marigold-extract-are-the-key-solution-for-optimal-eye-health/. Accessed on December 11, 2022.
- Madhavan, J., Sundaram Chandrasekharan, M. K., & Godavarthi, A. (2018). Modulatory effect of carotenoid supplement constituting lutein and zeaxanthin (10: 1) on anti-oxidant enzymes and macular pigments level in rats. Pharmacognosy magazine, 14(54), 268.
- Benefits of Lutein for Macular Degeneration. Medical News Today Retrived from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-much-lutein-per-day-for-macular-degeneration. Accessed on December 11, 2022.
- Buscemi, S., Corleo, D., Di Pace, F., Petroni, M. L., Satriano, A., & Marchesini, G. (2018). The effect of lutein on eye and extra-eye health. Nutrients, 10(9), 1321.
- Dried Goji Berries may provide protection against age-related macular degeneration. UC Davis Health. Retrived from https://health.ucdavis.edu/news/headlines/dried-goji-berries-may-provide-protection-against-age-related-macular-degeneration/2022/01#:~:text=%E2%80%9CThe%20higher%20the%20lutein%20and,published%20in%20the%20journal%20Nutrients. Accessed on December 13, 2022.
- Vaneková, Z., & Rollinger, J. M. (2022). Bilberries: Curative and miraculous–A review on bioactive constituents and clinical research. Frontiers in pharmacology, 2343.
- Nomi, Y., Iwasaki-Kurashige, K., & Matsumoto, H. (2019). Therapeutic effects of anthocyanins for vision and eye health. Molecules, 24(18), 3311.
- Top Maqui Berry Benefits for Eye Health. Lifeextension.com. Retrived from https://www.lifeextension.com/wellness/superfoods/maqui-berry-dry-eyes. Accessed December 14, 2022.
- 7 Surprising Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid. Healthline. Retrived from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/hyaluronic-acid-benefits. Accessed on December 15, 2022.