This topic seems so surprising to everyone. You may wonder do men undergo menopause. Yes, after referring to many articles online, I got to know male menopause do exist. Many people just ignore this fact thinking of it as a myth but the reality is so different. A lot of scientific studies have confirmed that men experience menopause symptoms in their late 40s to early 50s. The term may sometimes be called andropause. Not every man will experience it but the symptoms are real. The possible reasons could be ageing and dropping testosterone levels (2) .
Testosterone is a hormone produced in the testes and is responsible for the development of male sexual characteristics. It does more than sex drive. It usually brings changes during puberty,improves mental and physical energy, maintains muscle mass, and regulates flight or fight response in men. Testosterone levels fall as men age. The decline is steady at less than 2% a
year, starting from the age of 30 to 40 and these are unlikely to cause trouble themselves. So it is normal for men to reduce their levels during ageing. Now you may wonder what makes them worse or if there are treatments available. This blog clearly explains the symptoms, causes, treatments and more about male menopause (2, 3, 4).
Symptoms of male menopause
The symptoms are similar to female menopause. Unlike women, whose menopause starts in the 50s where male sex hormones start to drop as early as the 20s, gradually over subsequent years.
Symptoms of male menopause are listed below.
● Develop depression
● Loss of sex drive/ low libido
● Erectile dysfunction
● Physical and emotional symptoms like mood swings, irritability, lack of enthusiasm or energy
● Loss of muscle mass
● Reduce ability to exercise
● Fat redistribution such as developing a large belly
● Difficulty sleeping
● Increased tiredness
● Poor concentration
● Short-term memory (1, 2, 4)
These symptoms interrupt everyday life activities. So, it is very important to find them and resolve them. The diagnosis can include a routine blood test, in which a level of testosterone can be identified (1, 2).
Lifestyle changes are one of the biggest possible reasons for developing the symptoms. Some of them include,
● Personal or lifestyle issues because of stress, depression, anxiety
● Lack of sleep
● poor diet
● lack of exercise
● drinking too much alcohol
● low self-esteem (1)
● Stress management
● Treating Anxiety
● Help for low mood and depression
● Exercise for depression
● Eat a healthy diet, get regular exercise, and get enough sleep
● Some people also take hormone replacement therapy (testosterone
deficiency). But hormone therapy is always controversial (1, 4).
Treatments are available and it is treatable when diagnosed earlier. However, a healthy diet combined with a few lifestyle changes can prevent developing serious problems.
Grand Health®’s Herbal Treatment
Herbal remedies have been practised in Traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic medicine for more than a century now. Most of the herbal formulations have been researched and proved scientifically. In the same way, Grand Health® conducted extensive research and developed a formulation that may benefit in managing male menopause. Vitor vigor plus is a combination of
herbs that is useful for sexual enhancement for men, increasing energy and endurance, and helping to balance sex hormones. Consuming these vegan capsules helps to restore libido and reduce fatigue. The herbal blend is 100% natural and contains ingredients such as Tribulus terrestris, Maca, Horny goat weed extract, Royal jelly, Saw palmetto, and Ginkgo biloba extract.
Their benefits are described below.
1. Tribulus terrestris contains bioactive compounds which makes them a common supplement for enhancing libido. It does not seem to boost testosterone but improves the hormonal levels in the body. Also, possibly helpful in treating sexual disorders in males and females (8, 9).
2. Maca root increases sex drive, reduces erectile dysfunctions, increases energy and stamina, increases fertility, enhances mood, and improves sexual health. Consumption at adequate levels can balance testosterone, and cortisol levels, support sex drive, regular prostate function, and greater sperm count. It is also considered a natural libido booster(5, 6, 7).
3. Horny goat weed this plant has got a funny history. A Chinese goat herder once noticed that the animals, who ate the plants had increased interest in sex. The plant contains a bioactive compound called icariin that has potential anti-oxidative functions. Often used by men to boost sex drive, and improve sexual performance. Also used for a variety of health issues ranging from erectile dysfunction to low testosterone to support bone and heart health (10, 11).
4. Royal jelly is a nutritious product produced by worker bees. Various studies showed that royal jelly is effective in improving libido, sexual desire, energy, and sexual function in both men and women. Used for centuries as a natural libido and aphrodisiac agent. They may enhance testicular testosterone production and sperm count (12).
5. Saw palmetto historically was used in the past for a variety of conditions exclusively for treating disorders of male and female reproductive organs. It is used as a natural herbal remedy that manages some aspects of male reproductive health including prostate problems, balancing hormone levels, preventing hair loss, and regulating testosterone levels (13, 14).
6. Ginko Biloba is used as a treatment for anti-depressant-induced sexual dysfunction, a common side effect in depressive disorder therapy. Help to reduce erectile dysfunctions and improve sexual functions (15, 16).
Based on the above discussion gives an idea about the herbs used in traditional Chinese and ayurvedic medicine. Grand Health® offers these ingredients in one capsule which can be a perfect blend for morning smoothies, and juices, sprinkle on oatmeals or add to a raw dessert.
Find more information about the product by visiting the website https://www.grand-health.com/.
1. The Male Menopause. National Health Services UK. Retrived from https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/malemenopause/#:~:text=Some%20men%20develop%20depression%2C%20loss,mood%20s
wings%20and%20irritability. Accessed on September 11, 2022.
2. Is Male Menopause Real. Scripps. Retrieved from
https://www.scripps.org/news_items/4437-is-male-menopause-real. Accessed on September 11, 2022.
3. Male Menopause Is Real and Treatable, Say Pharmacy Researchers. University of Alberta. Retrieved from https://www.ualberta.ca/folio/2022/01/male-menopause-is-real-and-
treatable-say-pharmacy-researchers.html. Accessed on September 12, 2022.
4. What is Male Menopause. Healthline. Retrieved from
https://www.healthline.com/health/menopause/male#diagnosis-and-treatment. Accessed on September 13, 2022.
5. Maca Root: High Energy, Better Moods, And Many Other Health Benefits. Fullscript.Retrieved from https://fullscript.com/blog/maca-root-benefits. Accessed on September 13,2022.
6. Maca Root Supplements: Top 10 Uses and Benefits. Nutritional Supplements Directory.Retrieved from https://nutritional-supplements-directory.com/maca-benefits/. September 13, 2022.
7. Maca Extract. Scienceherb. Retrieved from https://www.scienceherb.com/products/maca-pe-extract/. Accessed on September 14, 2022.
8. Tribulus Terrestris. Examine. Retrieved from https://examine.com/supplements/tribulus-terrestris/#research-breakdown. Accessed on September 14, 2022.
9. Does Tribulus Terrestris Really Work? An Evidence-Based Look. Healthline. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/tribulusterrestris#TOC_TITLE_HDR_9.Accessed on September 15, 2022.
10. Horny Goat Weed: A Natural Herb for Libido & Mood. Global Healing. Retrivbed from https://explore.globalhealing.com/horny-goat-weed/. Accessed on September 15, 2022.
11. Horny Goat Weed (Epimedium) May Have Testosterone-Like Effects. Nutrient Journal. Retrieved from https://nutrientjournal.com/horny-goat-weed-epimedium-may-
testosterone-like-effect/. Accessed on September 16, 2022.
12. Royal Jelly and Fertility. The Natural Shopper. Retrieved from
https://www.thenaturalshopper.com/resources/royal-jelly/royal-jelly-fertility.html.Accessed on September 16, 2022.
13. Saw Palmetto. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Retrieved from https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/saw-palmetto. Accessed on September 17, 2022.
14. 5 Promising Benefits and Uses of Saw Palmetto. Healthline. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/saw-palmetto-benefits#The-bottom-line. Accessed on September 17, 2022.
15. Corazza, O., Martinotti, G., Santacroce, R., Chillemi, E., Di Giannantonio, M., Schifano,
F., & Cellek, S. (2014). Sexual enhancement products for sale online: raising awareness of the psychoactive effects of yohimbine, maca, horny goat weed, and Ginkgo biloba.BioMed Research International, 2014.
16. Ginkgo Biloba: Health Benefits, Uses, and Risks. Healthline. Retrived from https://www.healthline.com/health/ginkgo-biloba-benefits. Accessed on September 20,